Beautiful, fast, fluid
Windows has been reimagined to focus on your life. The beautiful, fast, and fluid design is perfect for a range of hardware: from compact, touch-enabled tablets and lightweight laptops, to PCs and large, powerful all-in-ones with high-definition screens. It's smooth, intuitive, and gives you instant access to your people, apps, and stuff, so you spend less time searching and more time doing.
Windows 7, only better:
- Windows 8 is built on the rock-solid foundation of Windows 7, but it's been improved on all fronts.
- You can install Windows 8 on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7, and you'll love how it works on new devices, too.
- Windows 8 was designed with Windows 7 apps in mind, because you probably have older apps you need to use.
- In addition to the new look of the Start Screen, Windows 8 incorporates the desktop that you're familiar with.
- Think of the desktop as one of the many apps you can run in Windows 8.
- In the desktop, you'll see all the settings, devices and features you used in Windows 7-and you can run the desktop apps you ran in Windows 7, too.
Cloud-connected with your Microsoft account:
- Sign in to your Windows 8 device with your Microsoft account and you're immediately connected to the people, files and settings you care about.
- Your PC comes to life with all the things that make Windows yours, including your Start page, themes, language preferences, browsing history and browser favourites.
- You can connect your favourite services to your Microsoft account, too, like Hotmail, Messenger, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and more.
- And you can immediately get to your photos, docs and other files, whether they're on SkyDrive, Facebook, Flickr or other services.
It's all about the apps:
- In the Windows Store, you can search for or browse great apps, all grouped in easy-to-find categories.
- We highlight great apps for you and provide quick access to frequently downloaded apps.
- You can also see how other people have rated apps.
- You'll always know what's interesting, new and popular.
- You won't have to worry about buying something you don't want because you can try before you buy, if the app supports it.
- If you try an app and like it, you can buy it and continue using the full app with no interruption.
- You won't waste time or lose your place.
- 1 GHz or faster
- 20 GB available space
- 2 GB RAM
- DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive
- 1366 x 768 screen resolution
- Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX 9 graphics card with WDDM driver
- Microsoft account required for some features. Watching DVDs requires separate playback software. Windows Media Center license
- Internet access
- Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
- For some Windows Media Center functionality, a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required
- Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware
- Music and sound require audio output
- Some features may require advanced or additional hardware